Chesterfield Paternity Lawyers
Who Is a Candidate for a Paternity Action?
By law, the following people are candidates for paternity actions:
- Fathers seeking visitation/custody rights.
- Mothers seeking child support from the father.
- Fathers who believe the child may not be his own.
- Mothers searching for the father of their child.
In Missouri, the parent-child relationship is protected regardless of the marital status of the parents. Not every family consists of married biological parents and 2.5 kids. The laws of Missouri protect those who need the courts to determine whether or not someone is the biological father of a child.
Navigating the courts without the aid of skilled family law attorney is dangerous and may have permanent effects on the time you are allowed to spend with your children. It can also affect the amount of child support you are entitled to receive or required to pay. It could mean paying decades worth of child support for a child that is not yours, paying more child support than you should, receiving less child support than you are entitled to and could result in you receiving no child support at all.
Call (636) 590-4864 or email us to consult with a Chesterfield paternity attorney at The Roberts Law Firm, P.C. immediately so that we may advise you of your rights.
What to Do If You Believe You Are Not the Father of a Child
If you believe you may not be the father of a child, contact The Roberts Law Firm, P.C. immediately before you do any of the following acts:
- State that you are the father of the child in writing
- Willingly having your name placed on the child’s birth certificate
- Promise to pay child support in writing
- Agree to take a DNA test
All of these actions can affect your legal rights.
What to Do If the Father of Your Child Is Denying Paternity
If the father of your child is denying his paternity, contact The Roberts Law Firm, P.C. immediately so we can discuss the options available to you including:
- Filing a lawsuit to determine paternity
- Court ordered DNA tests
- Court ordered child support with severe consequences for those who do not pay
- Court ordered health insurance and other benefits that your child deserves
- Shared custody and visitation
- Recovery of birthing/hospital expenses
- Up to 5 years of retroactive child support
It is important that you have a qualified attorney to help you through this complicated legal process. The Chesterfield paternity attorneys at The Roberts Law Firm, P.C. have over 70 years of combined experience. We serve clients in Chesterfield, St. Louis, and throughout Missouri.
Contact us at (636) 590-4864. Our legal team can help you get to where you need to be.